Designed by Architect Albert Kahn, this previous
private residence of Edsel & Eleanor Ford is a work of art in itself.
Construction began in 1926 and was completed in 1929. The Ford family moved
into their new home for Christmas in 1929.
Many areas of this residence had shown
deterioration, one primary location being the Lake Terrace.
Chezcore, Inc. was contracted to completely restore the
Terrace area and its surrounding stone walls. Working
closely with the Owner’s representative, Architect
Elizabeth Murphy of Chamber, Murphy, and Burge, the
project began with the development of field drawings by
Chezcore, Inc. showing the size and location of the
existing Tayco sandstone pavers and the perimeter stone
walls pattern. Over eight hundred-fifty stone pavers and
perimeter wall stones were then removed, identified, and
stored on site. The existing grade was cut down and new
sandfill placed throughout, along with a new perimeter
drain system, allowing for proper drainage. A new concrete
sub-base was poured to accept the Terrace's paver stones.
New concrete footings were placed for the reconstruction
of the perimeter walls.
Upon completion of the concrete installation, new
vertical stainless steel reinforcement rods were added into
the top of the new concrete footing, every sixteen inches
on center for added stability. The perimeter walls were reset
with the original stone units into their original locations.
The paver stones were also laid back in their original
locations with fifteen replacement pavers required.
Replacement pavers were hand cut, on site, from the
Owner’s stone stock. Historically correct lime putty
mortar was used throughout to produce a sound,
aesthetically accurate finish.
The projected was completed ahead of schedule
and to the Owner’s satisfaction!